Friday, February 7, 2014

Skillet Cornbread


This is the cornbread recipe I have been making forever.  I got it from my mom and I am thinking the original came from an old church cookbook from the church she grew up at in a very small town in North Carolina.  Let me tell you, the ladies in that town can cook!!!!  The recipe is so simple and always turns out great!

1/2 cup self rising flour
1 cup self rising cornmeal (we use white cornmeal)
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter (melted)


Heat oven to 375.  Place the skillet in the oven while it is heating up (this is how I was taught, I know others do this part differently).  In a bowl combine the self rising flour, self rising cornmeal and sugar.   Mix in the egg and buttermilk.  Stir in the melted butter.  When the oven has reached the proper temperature remove the skillet, remember it's very hot.  Pour the batter into the skillet, you should hear a nice sizzle.  Place the skillet back in the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the cornbread is cooked through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment