Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Unfried" Beans



The other night when I was making these tacos, I needed a side to go with them. I had a can of pinto beans in the cabinet so I figured I would see if making the pinto beans like I make our unfried black beans would work. Gray and I both loved them! What I love about this is that they are super flavorful and you can determine the texture, the texture of canned refried beans gives me the hibby jibbies so this will be our go to recipe when we are craving them!

1 14oz can pinto beans
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp garlic (chopped)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh pepper
1/4 cup onion diced
1/3 cup shredded monterray jack (optional)

Combine everything in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain the beans and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans and add back as little or much liquid until you get the consistency that you like. Optional: Place in a dish and top with cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment