Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Spinach Tomato Tortellini



I found this recipe and had high hopes for it, it just sounded so good! Well this recipe is a keeper, Gray and I both fell in love. It was more than I hoped it would be and perfect for a cold night! If you like pasta you must try this recipe! This recipe was adapted from Stephanie Cooks (she has amazing recipes, you should really check out her blog!)

1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini1
(14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
I add a 1/4 cup of tomato sauce (not pasta sauce, plain tomato sauce). In my opinion it gave it more flavor.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the tortellini, and cook until done. Mix together the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, milk and cream. Add this mixture into the saucepan. Then add the Parmesan cheese. Heat through, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. (this is when I added the tomato sauce but next time I think I would add it when I added the flour mixture) Strain the tortellini, then add to the sauce and stir together. (And make some garlic bread, this sauce is too good to leave sitting in the bottle of the bowl!)

No comments:

Post a Comment